26 May 2010

Too many exes spoil the broth...

"Maybe she wants her CD player back?"
"Maybe she's getting married?"
"Maybe she's pregnant?"

--Spaced, Series 1, Episode 7

Adventure Girl gets up close and personal with a ghost of boyfriends past...

So out of the dust your ex gets back in touch. They want to meet up. Been there, done that, but your stomach is churning. It's the ultimate unknown. Will your ego be plumped or terminally bruised?

Still, you rock up, wondering, wondering. It could be awkward as arse, surprisingly fun, profoundly deep, or spectacularly awful.

My recent encounter was a chef's combination, smothered in wasabi soy and drowned with a glass or three of house white. There was a touch of he-said-she-said, a smattering of what-ifs and if-onlys, and a whole lot of coulda-shoulda-woulda played out in second-hand clichés.

Of course I can't write too much - social networking and the interwebs provide a horrid mix of torture and solace in the game of oscillating cyber-stalking and avoidance we exes play.

But I am glad I went. I was reminded of why I went there the first time, but also why it didn't work. The kind of murky clarity only hindsight can provide.

Until next time, I'll chalk it up as another lesson learned ;)

-AG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog